The Gates of Trevalyan

I won this book from LibraryThing. It sounded good when I put my name in for the drawing but that is as far as as good it got, I am sad to say.



This story takes place after the Civil War in southern Georgia, particularly the Trevalyan plantation where our two main characters Jenny Mobley and Charles King make their home as they start their married life together. It won’t be easy as they adjust to each other. Jenny forms a friendship with her maid Tacey as well as having an eye for handsome, Alexander Stephens. It is a time when the only thing left to do is make friends.

The Gates of Trevalyan is a historical novel that encompasses some romance, friendship and some very famous figures like Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis to name a few. While I enjoy reading historical novels as that genre was one of the first types of books that I had a pleasure reading. Unfortunately I can’t say this is the case with this book. It moved very slowly throughout the whole book. I did finish reading this novel but had a hard time doing so. Even the characters that should have been interesting, I found to be dull and I never felt a connection with them. It did seem though that author, Jacquelyn Cook did have a good vision and I was able to see part of that vision. So the good thing is that I might someday check her out again.

Comments

The Bookworm said…
sorry you didnt enjoy this one too much, thanks for the honest review!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
Nice to know that the author has potential for future "hits" ... I've made some good discoveries thru LT (and found some dogs, too!)

I always appreciate an honest review - good, bad, or ugly!
Anonymous said…
I absolutely love LT's Early Reviewers. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations