Shutter Island





United States Marshal Teddy Daniels lost his wife to a tragic apartment complex fire. The fire was arson. Andrew Laeddis, the man responsible for setting the fire was sent away. That isn’t good enough for Teddy. He hoped to get his revenge.

Teddy and his new partner, Chuck are assigned to check out the disappearance of Rachel Solando. She is a patient at the Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane located on Shutter Island. Rachel is very dangerous. She drowned her three children and then propped their dead bodies up at the dinner table.

Teddy and Chuck find a note left behind, written by Rachel. It says:

The Law of 4

I am 47
They were 80

+You are 3

We are 4
But
Who is 67?

Teddy asks Dr. Cawley, if there is a sixty-seventh patient at the hospital. He assures Teddy that there isn’t. So then, why does Rachel believe there is and if so…where is patient sixty-seven?

Shutter Island is the first novel, I have read by Mr. Lehane but it is not the first movie, I have watched, several of Mr. Lehane’s novels that have been made into a movie like Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone. I didn’t quite care for Mystic River and thought Gone Baby Gone was pretty good. So, you can imagine my reluctance to try reading a novel, though as we all know books are usually better then the movies. Well, the good news is that I absolutely enjoyed this book, so much that I had a hard time putting it down. I thought for sure I had it all figured out what was happening to Teddy. I was half right. The ending came as a surprise in a good way. Shutter Island gave me the shutters. I can’t wait to check out more novels by Mr. Lehane.

Comments

I loved this book so much in fact that in review I did a giveaway for my copy! I am a big fan of Dennis Lehane.
Melissa said…
This is probably my favorite Dennis Lehane book. So looking forward to the movie.
Becky LeJeune said…
I can't wait for the movie either. I won't tell Mike too much about it so that I don't ruin it for him.
Anonymous said…
One of my book groups is reading this soon. Glad to see it's a good one.
Cheryl said…
Michelle, Melissa, Becky and Carolsnotebook- So glad to hear everyone else enjoyed this book.

I too now really want to see the movie
Linda Jacobs said…
I saw this book at the library the last time I was there but didn't pick it up because I was kind of wishy-washy about Mystic River. Now, I hope it's there the next time I go!

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations