(Book Contest) Eat the City: A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers Who Built New York

I like to cook and have been trying to get healthier and also learn about food. This is why I decided to check out Eat the City. It sounded like an entertaining read. To be honest I was expecting to also learn about places around the city to eat at like restaurants and I thought I would find recipes. Of course, I did not find recipes but I did learn to have more of an appreciation of the locals in the markets and small shops.


I could tell that Robin really put a lot of work and detail into this book. She thoughly researched the people and the process of the topic that she was speaking about during that specific chapter. I learned so much about bees and harvesting honey that I think I could actually start making my own honey. Not to mention the fishermen and women. They know the importance of the term "fresh catch of the day". If you go to any fish market, then you can probably see the haul that these people brought in. Just the thought of eating fresh seafood from the sea has my mouth watering.

Of course, while I did enjoy learning about food and New York life, I did find myself rushing forward though out the book. Only because, I found that this book also read like a history lesson and there was only so much of the knowledge that I could cram into my head. For the want to be foodies wanting to learn to cook like Iron Chefs then this is not the book for you but if you are a true food enthusiast then you might want to add this book to your collection.
 
Purchase a copy here
 
If you would like to enter to win a copy of this book, leave your name and email address. US only. Contest ends August 4th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations