Gin and Panic

Former socialite Lola Woodby, not-so-discreet private eye in Prohibtion-era New York City, along with her grim Swedish sidekick, Berta, take on a piece-of-cake job: retrieving a rhinoceros trophy from the Connecticut mansion of big game hunter Rudy Montgomery. After all, their client, Lord Sudley, promises them a handsome paycheck, and the gin and tonics will be free. But no sooner do they arrive at Montgomery Hall than Rudy is shot dead with a houseful of suspicious characters standing by. Lord Sudley ups the ante, and Lola and Berta take the case. Armed with handbags stuffed with emergency chocolate, gin flasks, and a Colt .25, Lola and Berta are swiftly embroiled in a madcap puzzle of stolen diamonds, family secrets, a clutch of gangsters, and a flapper who knows her way around a safari rifle.

Gin and Panic continues the Discreet Retrieval Agency Mysteries from beloved crime writer Maia Chance.

My Review

I love the first book in this series. The dynamics and silliness of Lola and Berta. These two had me laughing a lot. Although, Berta really brings the humor; even though Lola is kind of the main one. Yet, this time, I was lacking the comedy. Additionally, none of the other characters intrigued me. Thus I found it hard to stick with this book. Which I did not stick with this book after chapter twelve. This is unfortunate as I know this author can write and this book is not one of the best showing. I will say that Lola and Berta are starting to find their groove in the detective business. Here is hoping that the next book is way better and has the comedy inserted back in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations